When we have a BBQ at the farm (which is quite often) there’s always tons of great meat for the grill but the sides don’t tend to make it on the grill. I absolutely love bok choy. I usually sauté it with coconut oil and add curry powder and coconut milk for a quick and easy weeknight veggie side. Last night, since our grill was hot, I decided to test it out on the fire. It was really great.
- 3 medium heads bok choy
- 2 Tablespoons apple juice
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos or wheat free tamari
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil (plus a little more for drizzle after)
- ½ teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon natural sriracha (optional)
- Heat your grill to low-medium
- Slice the bok choy down the middle and wash well. Shake off the leftover water.
- Combine the other ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Lay the bok choy in a baking dish open side up and drizzle it with the marinade.
- Carefully place the bok choy on the grill, open side up so that the marinade doesn't spill into the grill.
- After about five minutes, flip them over and grill for another five minutes or so being careful the outer leaves do not burn.
- Remove from the grill and place on a platter. Drizzle with a touch of the sesame oil. Serve with your favorite meat.
Image credit for bok choy portrait: Heidi Murphy