My guest on this episode is Dr. Sylvia Karpagam, who is an Indian Public Health doctor, writer, researcher, and advocate of the right to health and the right to food, particularly in the marginalized communities in India. In this episode, we talk about:
- Causes of malnutrition in India, including the political and cultural denial of nutritious animal foods to members of their communities.
- How 80% of India actually eats animal foods and it’s a dangerous myth that it is a vegetarian country.
- How the EAT-Lancet group and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are propagating (and profiting from) this myth at the expense of the country.
- Role of dominant social classes and how they influence cultural foods, traditional eating, and food policies.
- The protein restrictions in school children’s diets and how it affects them as they grow.
- How most of India’s beef is raised by small pastoralists on small parcels of land.
- How eating beef has resulted in lynching and murder and likely skewed nutrition survey results.
- And her current research and how we can support better science.
We reference her Right to Food Campaign, and discuss these articles:
Despite Nutrition Benefits, Most BJP States Keep Eggs out of Mid-Day Meals
Akshaya Patra imposing vegetarian food mono culture on children
Taboos around serving eggs in mid-day meals need to go
India is Not a ‘Vegetarian Country’ Like the EAT-Lancet Report Would Have Us Believe
The Meaning of India’s ‘Beef Lynchings’
Sylvia can be found at:
Blog – https://drsylviakarpagam.wordpress.com/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/sakie339
This episode is brought to you by Blue Nest Beef. There’s a lot of choices for “better” beef out there and the folks at Blue Nest Beef are grassfed pioneers who’ve perfected all the steps it takes to make better beef even better. Not only is their beef delicious, but it comes exclusively from American ranchers who have been certified by the National Audubon Society as ranchers who are regenerating our land and bird habitats. If you’re looking for better beef, visit their website here and use the discount code “2BUYBLUENEST” for 15% off your first order!
Thanks, and enjoy the show!