Welcome Back to Real Food Radio!
Today’s co-host is Ryan Whitcomb, a registered dietitian and owner of Gut RXN Nutrition, which specializes in treating individuals with food sensitivities relating to chronic inflammation.
On this episode, Ryan and Ayla discuss the often-controversial topic of supplements, when and why you may need them, and how they can fit into your real food diet.
Also discussed in Episode 9…
- Ryan’s background and how he got into integrative medicine
- Four instances when supplementation is necessary
- The nutrient density of food today versus 50-60 years ago
- The scary relationship between medication and nutrient depletion
- The importance of eating local produce and buying frozen foods
- How monocropping severely impacts the nutrient status of food
- Digestive issues and other factors that impact nutrient absorption
- When simply eating healthy isn’t enough
- How to interpret the RDAs and why they can be misleading
- Understanding that not all supplements are created equal
- Questions to ask your supplement company
- The quality of ingredients in pharmaceutical-grade supplements versus cheaper versions
Music Credit: www.bensound.com